Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Looking back at September 11, 2001

Michelle's post made me think about where I was when the attack happened.

As I remember it, I took CW to the train that goes from Simi Valley to downtown LA, he worked in Glendale at the time, generally he took the 6:10am train. When we arrived at the train station the emergency lights were flashing, the train arrived as usual though and so he got on and went on his way.

I turned on the radio they were saying an accident had happened in NY and that we should go home and turn on our TV's. I went to my in laws as they were closer to the station, plus I had a bad feeling and didn't really want to be alone. My in laws are really late risers so no one was awake except those who had to go to work and they were gone. I turned on the TV downstairs in my MIL's studio and sat and watched as the 2nd plane hit the building.

My FIL came before the 1st of the towers fell, he told me he had gotten to work and they had told them to go home. CW called about that same time to let me know that he had arrived safely but that they had closed down the train because they were afraid that it might be attacked and that he didn't want me to be on the road until they were basically sure that nothing was going to happen in LA. About this time the South tower fell, we were watching it on tv and were totally shocked and crying. The day went on and of course you know the rest.

That evening as we prepared to go to gather with our family we came outside and the entire neighborhood was outside with candles sitting together talking about what happened. Now this probobly seems like a normal thing to anyone from TX but it was a huge thing given our community.

Well that's what I remember....

2 comments:

aurora said...

I can't believe that it has been six years. It seems like yesterday in so many ways. I think this will be the landmark event in our lives that compares to the one in our parents' of when Kennedy was shot. You just kind of remember everything-- where you were, what you were doing etc. May it never happen again.

Rochelleht said...

WHERE ARE YOU!??? :-)