Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hit the Road Jack!

I get a horrid disease every summer.

Some hideous desire to ride in a car for many many hours. At times across empty stretches of desert and more often than not to end up in an empty stretch of desert. It is called wanderlust. It is commonly defined as a strong desire to travel, or, of having a strong desire to explore the world. Some consider it to be a simple linguistic compound of wander and lust.

I am desperately trying to control said desire this year.

CW asked me this evening why I insist on talking about how expensive gas is. Really it's the only way I can control my overwhelming desire to hit the road. The cheapskate in me, yes she does exist, is helping to keep me in check. That and the promise of England in 2009. As if the thought of 14 hours in a car with three screaming children is not enough to try anyone's sanity.

Do you look forward with anticipation to your yearly hiatis from home? Do you hear the siren's call of family, friends and fun? Or would your rather hang at the homestead?

4 comments:

aurora said...

The sirens definitely call me! I love to hang at home, but 3 whole months of it is a little overwhelming... hence, our trips to Arizona and Tennessee this year! Come on, give in to the wanderlust...

{btw- added you to my sidebar; hope you don't mind...} :-)

The Rich-Ardos said...

Hey Jenni! How about you hit the road and come to the family reunion! It's been a LONG time since you've come. Come on, everybody's doing it :) Hope to see you there!

Mindy

Julianne said...

You'r back! Good to see you blogging.

I say resist! However, we're treking up to UT next week. Sorry I'm not much help...

aubs33 said...

I would love to go somewhere this summer. But this year we have decided to do home improvement projects instead of vacationing.
We might go somewhere after the year end bonus in December of January.